16 March 2012

Macadamia Cake with Lime Syrup

I need to clear my 2011 leave by March this year so I'm clearing my annual leave today!

The thought of just waking up late and simply laze around the house is something I really wish I could do. This is a bigger task than anything I know! My mum used to say that I've a pretty sharp bottom, i.e., it will be extremely hard to get me to just seat down without taking off , bouncing off somewhere or finding something to do. Well, this is exactly what happened today.

I was trying very hard to read my book but just 15 mins into reading, I can literally hear myself thinking..."how about baking a cake today, or perhaps cupcakes ....or ....." the list just went on and on and on.....

I got up and exchanged my book for my recipe folders and after digging through multiple recipes, I've decided to embark making Macadamia Cake with Lime Syrup. Firstly, I love the tangy taste of lime, Secondly, Macadamia contains good fats & lastly, I just wanted to used my newly bundt pan again. hahahahaha...

In total, I used 8 medium size limes for this recipe. My helper was looking at me with questions in her eyes..."wah, so many lime, the cake must be very sour" kind of thoughts which really amuses me. I just love to see how people react to certain items or situation and compare that to their final reaction.

So without wasting more time I managed to gather all the ingredients needed and started to make my cake. The aroma from the cake batter was already tempting me and I just cannot wait to put it into the oven and bake!

The outcome of this cake is simply awesome! The crumbs are really fine and each bite of the cake is full of the nutty macadamia flavour & coupled with the fact that the cake is infused with the lime syrup, it simply gave my taste buds an instant orgasm! No joke, this cake is really good. I think it will be an ideal cake for any pot luck session or to entertain your friends at home. Just whipped up some cream or grab a tub of ice cream & drizzle the remaining syrup over the toppings. Totally Awesome!

Macadamia Cake with Lime Syrup
10" Bundt Pan

Ingredients

200g Macadamia Nuts
185g Self-Raising Flour
½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
200g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
230g Caster Sugar
4 Large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsps Lime Zest, finely grated (approx. 2 medium lime)
80ml (1/3 cup) Milk

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 160°C. Grease & flour a 10 inch non-stick
    bundt pan.
  2. Grind macadamia nuts in a food processor into a fine paste and add
    it into a mixing bowl.
  3. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda over the top and combine well.
  4. Beat the butter and sugar using paddle attachment until pale and creamy. This should take about 4 mins.
  5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  6. Beat in the vanilla and lime zest.
  7. Mix in half the flour mixture followed by half the milk.
  8. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and milk, until all the ingredients are well combined. Do not overmix.
  9. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over.
  10. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cake is nicely golden and comes away slightly from the side of the tin. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
  11. Allow the cake to rest in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes, before inverting onto the rack to cool completely.
  12. Brush with Lime Syrup while the cake is still warm.
Lime Syrup

170g Caster Sugar
3 tsps Lime Zest, Grated Finely (about 3 medium lime)
80ml (1/3 cup) Lime Juice (approx. 6 medium lime)
120ml Water


Method

  1. Put the sugar, lime zest, lime juice and 120ml water in a small saucepan and stir over high heat until the sugar has dissolved.
  2. Boil for 5 minutes, or until slightly syrupy.
  3. Take the syrup off the heat and stir in the rum (if using).
  4. Brush the syrup over the entire surface of the warm cake, allowing it to soak into the cake before reapplying.
  5. Let the cake cool completely.
  6. Decorate the top of the cake whipped cream or vanilla ice cream & drizzle with balance lime syrup.
The cake can keep well. You may store at room temperature for a few days, or refrigerate for a week or even freeze for up to 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment