18 March 2012

Raspberry & Blueberry Buttermilk Cake

I was searching for a simple cake to bake for our Sunday night dessert.

I don't want to buy extra ingredients as I know I need to clear my fridge of its content first! Thus, while looking into my fridge to dig up the ingredients, I noticed that I've a nice packet of fresh Raspberries & Blueberries plus I still have about 1/2 carton of Buttermilk left from our previous bakes.

Knowing me, I'll simply forget about them if I don't use or eat them now so I took them out and decided to bake Raspberry & Blueberry Buttermilk Cake.

This is a thin cake and it is really moist and flavourful. I love the caramelised sugar that is being sprinkled on top of the cake which added a boost to the refreshing taste of the berries. You can opt to just use one kind of berry or a combination of berries to your fancy.

If you intend to bake this using the happycall pan, you will have to double the portion below to get a nice thickness.

Raspberry & Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
8" round cake pan or double the portion & use Happycall Ocher Pan.
Ingredients
130g Plain Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
56g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
146g Caster Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Large Egg
½ cup (118ml) Buttermilk
½ tsp Lemon Zest, finely grated (optional)
½ Tbsp Caster Sugar (for sprinkling over the cake)
½ Cup Fresh Raspberries (or any other berries to your fancy)
½ Cup Fresh Blueberries


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
  3. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 146g sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy (about 4 mins)
  4. Add vanilla and zest, if using.
  5. Add egg and beat well.(2 mins)
  6. At low speed, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
  7. Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top.
  8. Scatter the berries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoons (22 grams) sugar.
  9. Bake for 20-25 mins or until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
  10. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more.
  11. Invert onto a plate & serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment